Digital learning plays an important part in the education of 21st century children.
International School of Bergamo promotes the use of technology as an essential instrument for children living in a digital era. Technology aids inquiry and research, supports personal productivity and creativity, and promotes effective communication in school and with wider learning networks. However, the school does not intend to replace traditional skills, printed books or the value of human resources that remain vital to the educational process. Technology is integrated when there is a clear educational advantage.
The school offers a comprehensive ICT programme which includes:
- iPad 1:1 Programme : iPads are used as instruments supporting the various disciplnes, in line with the school trasdisciplinary approach. All teachers at ISB have received specific training and have shared best practices within the ISE Group network.
- The development of specific ICT skills: the use of various types of hardware and software is promoted in school (computers, tablets, printers, networks, browsers, spreadsheets, wordprocessing just to name a few)
- Programming and robotics:children learn to code through specific software developed for primary school childen by MIT and Harvard. Coding helps children develop logical thinking skills and understand the functioning of computer networks.
- the use of technological media such as Skype and collaborative learning platforms to communicate and share experiences with children in other international schools throughout the world.
Throughout the entire school curriculum, students are also taught the importance of identifying reliable sources of information. 21st century children are in fact faced with the challenge of the retrieval of correct information.
The advantages of digital learning:
+ interactive learning: teamwork and self-assessment are only some of the skills developed through digital supports.
+ multimedia: 3D images and media tools are certainly more engaging for pupils.
+ immediate feedback: Children immediately see how well they're performing. This allows them to self–correct if needed.
+ creativity: digital tools enhance and support creativity. Examples can be found in several professional careers (graphic designers, photographers, film directors…).
+ child centred education: Through technology, teachers can easily plan one to one activities, based on the child’s strengths and attitudes.
Technology in school:
- All classes are equipped with an Apple TV, a whiteboard and a multimedia projector (EY children have multitouch Smartboards).
- A safe Wifi network is available thoughout the school.
- All children in the Elementary classes follow the iPad 1:1 Programme.
- The school provides an email address and cloud storage space to all children from Grade 3.
- All children in the Elementary have an electronic diary which parents can access on their personal devices.
- The ICT lab is equipped with computers and laptops, printer, interactive whiteboard, and Robotics kits (including a full-size FLL competition court
The school is also equipped with modern filtering systems and has a very strict IT policy which intends to support children and families in the use of technology. It is in fact vital for students to be familiar with how to use technology to find, retrieve and share information in the safest possible way.