CHOOSING THE RIGHT COMBINATION
High School Bergamo-Subject Specialisation
Within the academic areas, students will choose their subjects from the following list:
- Language&Literature; English, Italian or mother tongue
- Language Acquisition; French, Spanish, English or Italian.
- Experimental Sciences; Physics, Biology, Chemistry
- Individuals&Societies; History, Economics.
- Mathematics; Applications & Interpretation or Analysis & Approaches
- Electives- students have the option to study a second subject from the other groups.
In each of the academic areas students have flexibility in making their choices, which means they can choose subjects that particularly interest them and that they may wish to study further at university.
Three subjects (and not more than four) are taken at higher level (HL), and the others are taken at standard level (SL). Subjects at HL are studied in greater depth and breadth than at SL. At both levels, many skills are developed, especially those of critical thinking and analysis.
At the end of the course, students’ abilities are measured by means of external and internationally standardised assessment.
It is this comprehensive range of subjects that makes the Diploma Programme a demanding course of study designed to prepare students effectively for university entrance and, above all, success in life beyond.